Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Negligence or Otherwise

School having started on Tuesday, they naturally sent back a bunch of paperwork. Among them were the usual release forms.

Of course no one likes to be sued, understandably, but after taking the time actually read one of these bueauracraticspeech documents, I found this passage:

"I agree that under no circumstances will he/she or his/her heirs, executors, administrators and assigns prosecute, present any claim for personal injury, property damage, or wrongful death against said school or any of its officers, agents, or employees for any of said causes of action, whether the same shall arise by the negligence of any said persons, or otherwise."

"...shall arise by the negligence of any said persons or otherwise."

"Or otherwise" !?! What's that supposed to mean? Otherwise can mean a lot of things - among them deliberate and premeditated homicide.

So by signing this form, I am releasing my school to harm me at their leisure while I am doing said activity, and should they do so, I no longer have the right to seek reimbursement. Tell me if this is just wrong?

--
Inspired by my parents, of all people, who refused to sign any more release forms because they wanted to school to be liable for at least something.

Humor-blogs.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's not just wrong. Its wronger than the wronger in frogger. Just like shampoo bottles that tell people to no drink shampoo, the school must have been sued for maybe someone getting killed on a senior prank.

-If life is a goat, then you are a mermaid.