Thursday, July 17, 2008

Jack of All Trades

Some people might consider me talented. I can cave paint and play the violin. I can also play tennis and achieve a decent mile time. I can sometimes pull of an A without studying. Give me a computer and I could find my way around it, virtually or otherwise, and I can write a blog.


But while I perform all of these things, and possibly perform some of them well, I am not extremely good at any of them. I'm never going to be a Monet or van Gogh, even after I've died, whether by suicide or otherwise. My musical skills are probably never going to be among the likes of Mozart or Beethoven. My tennis skills are inconsistant at best, and my mile time isn't exactly enough evidence of a star athlete in the making. Heck, my grades don't even live up to the lowest standards of Asians, especially in math. I may know computers well, but when it comes down to the nuts and bolts I'm clueless. As for my blog, well, you be the judge, but my page views don't skyrocket*, nor can I make a living off of it.

According to my mom, I need to find something I like and be good at it, becuase colleges don't want a well-rounded person. Apparently, they want someone with a rounded bottom and pointy tip, although more than one tip doesn't hurt. I suppose if I really tried I could become the equivalent of a Jack-in-the-Box.
But being as lazy, although the preferred term is efficient, as I am, it's really hard for me to put effort into something. Nor can I really choose which area because I all like them equally - which can be alot if I'm doing well, or not very much if I'm not doing well. It fluctuates alot with me. I also have a time devotion issue. I like to play the violin, but after playing everything once, twice, or thrice through, I get bored and no longer want to play it for the day - so where as I should practice for an hour, I get in twenty minutes, or if I'm really diligent thirty minutes.

I really got to shape up. When I'll do it, I don't have the answers - ask yourselve.

*According to Google Analytics, my highest visits for a single day was 19 visits.

--
One thing you guys can be really good at is visiting Humor-blogs for me.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh pish posh alan -_-
aren't you in like orchestra 3 or something? that is good!
and and if i had a 6 minute mile time i would eat a whole gallon of strawberry ice cream because i would be so proud of myself for running as fast as you.
idk about your art or tennis or anything but you are well rounded, with pointy tips! (i love your analogy LMPO)
it is ok that we are not all geniuses(i suck at spelling so much i had to firefox spell check that word) because you are either born one or you have sacrifice so much to be good at that one thing.
so don't worry and keep doing what you do(:




oh, and you can ride a bike. without training wheels.

Anonymous said...

Really...? I thought colleges, and everyone, loved the really well-rounded people. A person who shows excellence in many subjects is obviously superior to another who does not. If you are mediocre at all subjects, like a jack of all trades, be like Jack. Find your niche. Anyway, here are some examples of round.
The Golden arches are rounded, and they are the biggest fast food chain. Even the Carl's jr star is rounded. The world is round; the sun and moon are round; Jupiter is round; Every thing is round. Hey, even your blog is round.

"The grass is not greener on the other side." - Lao Tzu IV

Anonymous said...

-_________________________________________________________________________________________________-


fine.

Anonymous said...

dude i can totally relate with you
i need to step it up and find out for myself too