Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Inhuman or Superhuman?



Look closely at the person sitting next to you?

It's possible that he or she is a robot in disguise. But how can they be?

Are they not a little to perfect, too beautiful, too smart even though they don't perform a perpetual robot dance and they don't speak monotonously?
Don't be fooled, that was then. With today's technology, it wouldn't be too hard for someone with the right tools to create a computer that could pass the Turing test, a test to see whether or not a human could tell if a computer speaker is human, and took and act like a human.

I have a friend like that*. She gets straight A's, is Speech and Debate among other things, and plays the violin like a pro. In seventh grade, I finally realized that she wasn't human. No real human could do that all that and still have a life. And so I confronted her/it about it, but all she would do is get mad at me in a very human way and perhaps whack me in a very human sign of mock anger. The first time she whacked me I braced myself in case her super/inhuman strength would send me flying through the wall. Apparently, this robot model is aware of its strength and can restrain itself; a step up from the blunt T-80 models Skynet used to send back in time. In any case, she wouldn't admit that she wasn't truly one of us.

Robots are sure good keepers of secrets.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

avidfoodie said...

Reading this, I feel that it is safe to say that Global warming is not a major threat to the destruction of Earth. I feel that it is safe to say that the "Robots for Better Being Foundation", which currently sponsors labs on robot development and companies like iRobot, is the major threat to Earth's Destruction. Tell the robot to "RUST!" and also that im calling 911. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Jeremy Kao said...

Ha ha. Nice one. I like your blog. the other commenter has nice answers.