Saturday, March 22, 2008

Moufflets: a History

Moufflets. It's French for muffins.

My English teacher once called our class that. Then someone decided, "No, we're cupcakes." Then our A.D.D. riddled class descended into a discussion about small hand-sized cakes that are generally cylindrical and have rounded conical tops, with our without frosting.

But why did I pick Moufflets? Well, it's a long story, you see. I was going to pick something like, "My two bits", or something along the lines, but apparently the domain names were taken. I would have been fine, but as it happens, the author of the blog first post was on November 12, 2003. Incidentally, it was also his last post. His post:

Here I am, world. My name's Mark, and this is my first blog. I'm 30 years old, and am currently in Oklahoma, U.S.A., as a United States Army soldier. I'm one of those people who annoys (only slightly) those around me by having the need to share whatever's on my mind. Welcome to the club. Enjoy your stay.
Well, now he's 35 years old, and he's annoying me (more than slightly) by having the need to share whatever is on his mind by taking up a perfectly good domain name. Other names such as "My two cents", was also taken.

"My two cents" did a little better than Mark over there at "My Two Bits". He made four posts, last one being in 2001; seven years and a day before I made my Moufflets blog. Interestingly, one of his four posts said, "I hate blogger!!!". So get off blogger and gimme your domain name, thank you very much. On the other hand, those names now sound a bit corny. I think moufflets was the best choice afterall.

So that concludes the history of the naming of this blog, which incidentally is not the main topic of this blog.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

avidfoodie said...

Moufflets are good. In fact, my favorite moufflets are green tea flavored moufflets stuffed with a generous serving of red bean paste. I havent tasted one since i moved from Utah.