Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Political Ignorance

Today, my friends were talking about politics and stuff.

Well, I must confess that I have more or less been living in a box.

I don't watch that box of flickering lights people call TV, nor do I listen to the radio. In fact, I do read the news. Reuter's Oddly Enough articles. It's my only link to the world outside of the not so accurate gossip network.

So I was more or less left confounded while my friends rambled on about politics and Clinton or something of which I had little knowledge of. So, like Finny of A Separate Peace, I put on an expression of thoughtfulness and threw in a couple understanding nods and "Yea's" and attempted to not seem out of the loop.

I don't really see a point in catching on until I'm eighteen, a good three years from now. In fact, I found it almost annoying how people would battle it out over whether Obama, McCain, or Clinton is winning. To me, it's just some far off place; as far as the battlefields of Iraq or the playing fields of Trojans vs. Bruins that has nothing to do with me. Come to think of it, I don't really care who becomes President in my own school's Associated Student Body. It seems that no matter who we elect, nothing changes. Absolutely nothing. The only big thing itself is the election; to see who's the most popular; who's the greatest liar.

But maybe it is time to come out of the little hole I've been sticking my head in. Perhaps who we elect does make a difference - differences that are unnoticeable by me for lack of information.

At the very least, I can try to accidentally stray on to the more practical pages of Reuter's and maybe, just maybe, become a little less ignorant about politics, if only to save my pride. But don't ever expect me to care if USC or UCLA's football teams are better. That's pushing it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Christine said...

yeah. i really feel so detached when justine talks about politics. i only know so much at this point x_x

and usc vs. ucla. gah, fun. but the impossible happened last year: ucla beat usc o_o

but screw that. LAKERS VS. CELTICS!