Friday, April 11, 2008

In the spirit of Spring Break

I have no idea why I looked forward to Spring Break this year. Or last year. Or the year before that for that matter.

When you think of Spring Break, you think of going out and partying all night and going snowboarding or something fun like that. But apparently, all that I've heard about those five extra days of fun is an illusion.


Teachers just don't understand the true meaning of spring break. Wikipedia defines Spring Break as a week long recess from studying at universities and school. By extension, studying includes doing any form work related to learning against your will.

I really pity Chinese extra-curricular institutions for their bliss-less ignorance. At the same time, I am quite offended by their simply remaining open during this sacred time of rest. By doing so, they allow parents the option of packing us off to rot at these brain washing facilities. If that wasn't bad enough, some of them send home work for us to "keep sharp" over the break.

But I'm not being fair here to the "Other Schools". My high school teachers are giving more than their fair share of homework. In nine days, I have an English paragraph, an English book report (which I have to present), an English essay on the Holocaust, and that's just for English alone. Add in about a pound of biology that relies on an online textbook since I forgot to bring my carbon copy home, and a nice, juicy history project that's worth a rather large amount of points. Don't forget the math, either. I have four sections of about seventy problems each, not to mention some graphing. Thank goodness I'm just doing odds. Then we can round up that four course banquet with a nice two servings of Chinese homework.

Come to think of it, I was partly wrong when I said that teachers didn't understand the meaning of spring break. Some teachers even go to Paris, leaving us to slave away at the work they left behind for us.

So now I'm living in a spring break that reminds me of a lot like school days. I get a little more sleep, and I also get a little more distracted. After all, I do have this shiny laptop sitting here, just begging to have a blog written on it. But somehow, I'll make it through. I always do. A little procrastination never hurt anyone.

Still, in the spirit of Spring Break, lay off the homework, will you teachers? Thanks.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

avidfoodie said...

That's all you have to do? I have, just for today, a seventy page Chemistry 101 chapter to read, three calculus long assignments, seven lessons of spanish to complete, a twenty- five page essay that im glad im almost finished with, volunteer work for the national garlic festival, dinner to cook, a dog to feed, and a million ways to be cruel. See, my day is harsh. I remember my chinese school. I used to love it. The high pitched teachers, kids who cry at everything, people who do not know what jokes are, and three berry bushes are just a few of the amenities included in the five-hundred-dollar/25 sessions a year chinese, level 10 class. San Marino... good times.

Alan said...

Wow. Well, someone's always got it worse. I feel for you, but I'm still going to complain.

Jeremy Kao said...

This is Jeremy K. and I approve of this message.

Anonymous said...

KOOL!!!! A garlic festival haha what do u do at it?

loll Jeremy... this isn't a political campaign.